Placer Community FoundationOur History and Our Community
Our Roots Reach Back Nearly 70 Years
Our history reaches back nearly 70 years to when the Auburn Community Foundation was created in 1948 as a private foundation by the caring, forward-looking Beecher family. But the story of Placer Community Foundation starts in 2005, when a few visionary residents from among our county’s communities did something brilliant for all of us. They imagined something that hadn’t been here before — a public foundation belonging to everyone, where generous people could go to get expert support and hear creative ideas that would help them to amplify and achieve their charitable intentions.
They pictured a prudently managed organization overseen by a diverse board of civic leaders, where donations could be invested together to grow, where anyone could become a donor, and where donors became true philanthropists—able over time to grant out even more than they had put in, and able at any moment to call on a team of professionals with a knowledge of the community’s needs and resources that truly runs deep.
Their idea was, and is, your Placer Community Foundation. The secure, well-managed public resource they envisioned is now a multi-million dollar consortium of funds and, with your help, in only ten short years the Foundation has grown so it can be deployed to tackle our region’s most urgent challenges and seize promising opportunities to improve lives throughout Placer County and beyond.
Janice Forbes, a native of Auburn, was the Founding Chairman of the Board of Directors for Placer Community Foundation. The Foundation serves people and nonprofit organizations in communities throughout Placer County. The combined assets of the Foundation and its supporting organization are over $14.5 million. The Foundation resides in a 150-year-old Victorian building that was originally dedicated in 1855 as Placer County’s first hospital.
Since 1948, the Foundation has provided over $6.8 million in grants to many different nonprofit organizations throughout the county (view our most recent Annual Report). In 2009 our stratetic grant programs were acknowledged in the region when PCF was awarded National Philanthropy Day’s Outstanding Grantmaker.
Donors at PCF have organized their philanthropy to help some of the neediest in our community. Whether it be to provide fresh food and produce to our hungry, teaching our young people to read, providing computers to foster youth, expanding arts programming or protecting animals and our wild and scenic areas, donors at PCF are having an impact.
Placer Community Foundation is a public institution that is preparing us for the future instead of borrowing against it. If we owe anything to anyone, it’s simply to celebrate the foresight of the generous people who came before us, and are all around us, still contributing, still imagining. As a part of PCF, your example inspires every one of us to think about the needs of our neighbors and be good stewards of our community, and for those who will come next.
1948 Community Foundation is established through an unrestricted gift by M.S. and Esta Beecher.
1983 Historic Courthouse renovation project funded.
1997 Longtime Placer resident Irene Schnaus leaves our largest unrestricted gift of bequest to date, $2 million.
2004 Placer Collaborative Network becomes a project of the Community Foundation.
2005 Established by the Board of Directors as the Placer Community Foundation, the organization becomes a public charity with new bylaws that expand its philanthropic reach to serve the western slope of Placer County.
2005 The James Irvine Foundation begins grants totaling $1.1 million to the Community Foundation to build the capacity of the organization as a philanthropic leader in the region.
2006 The first scholarship fund is established through a legacy gift by Marian Walsh. The John G. and Lillian M. Walsh Family Scholarship Fund provides scholarships to students graduating from Placer High School and Del Oro High School.
2007 Certification for compliance with rigorous National Standards puts us in the front rank of some 700 U.S. community foundations.
2008 Development of the Audience Development Program for the Arts provides marketing grants to local arts organizations aimed to increase public awareness of their programming.
2009 Received the Grantmaker of the Year Award for the region as a result of our strategic technical assistance grantmaking for the nonprofit sector.
2010 Established the Advisor Giving Circle. Comprised of 23 local estate planning attorneys and CPAs this year, the advisors screen applications and provided matching funds for grants made to support local Youth Development programs and services.
2011 Natural Wonders Forever Fund—the first Agency Endowment Fund established by the Placer Land Trust with $100,000.
2012 Nonprofit Board Leadership Summit is held for the 2nd year in which we bring together over 200 local, nonprofit board members to learn best practices on board governance.
2013 Third annual Nonprofit Leadership Summit brings Heather McLeod Grant to speak to 250 attendees and Placer Community Foundation grants to the Placer Food Bank for a mobile food pantry.
2014 Placer Food Bank’s mobile food pantry begins making deliveries of fresh produce to locations around Placer County.
2015 25 youth ages 8-12 from Excel Roseville got to be engineers for the day at the Hacker Lab Sierra College in Rocklin.