EmploymentPlacer Community Foundation
Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Description, compensation and benefits:
Founded in 1948, Placer Community Foundation is home to personalized charitable funds established by caring individuals, families and businesses. These funds are managed by the Community Foundation with grants distributed from them to support a variety of causes locally and nationally and abroad.
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator oversees the Community Foundation’s awareness building, storytelling, advertising and marketing projects for: donor prospecting and cultivation, general publicity and publications; media relations; mailing list segmentation and product development.
This person must have the ability to: relate in a warm, effective and helpful manner to individual donors, prospective donors, professional advisors, board members, staff, volunteers and grant seekers; prioritize effectively; work independently; be a quick learner; be flexible; pay careful attention to detail; function effectively as part of a team; and to understand and personally believe in the importance of philanthropy.
The successful candidate will be an active participant in the development of an emerging community foundation to serve Placer County. Given the dynamic nature of the Community Foundation’s work, the candidate should be comfortable with changes in the job description.
Salary range is $18-20 per hour plus benefits. Hours by mutual agreement –part to full-time. The Foundation’s headquarters are in Auburn, CA.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work within key market segments of the Community Foundation’s constituency and develop specific programs to communicate with them to advance the Community Foundation’s goals.
- Prepare and execute an annual marketing plan to support the Community Foundation’s goals and advise the Foundation’s CEO on strategic marketing issues.
- Manage overall content development and deployment, including press releases, blog posts, website content, op-eds and presentations; conducting interviews, promoting grants, and overseeing the development of publications and marketing materials.
- Manage the Community Foundation’s digital presence, including its website, social media accounts, and e-newsletters.
- Work in consultation with the Foundation’s Philanthropic Services Manager to develop and implement annual giving campaigns.
- Prepare annual report, quarterly newsletters and/or other timely publications for donors and fund-holders to update them on the Community Foundation’s efforts.
- Oversee photo shoots and video production.
- Hire and work with vendors including freelance writers, graphic designers, printers, and video production companies, photographers, and event venues.
- Develop, cultivate and maintain productive working relationships with local news media.
- Identify and seize opportunities to position the Community Foundation in the community and the field through timely content or reaction to current events.
- Adhere to the Foundation’s disaster response communications plan where necessary and advise the Foundation’s CEO on crisis communication.
- Develop and provide marketing advice, training and support to local nonprofits as needed.
- Make presentations to the Board on marketing and communications strategies and activities.
- Direct market research activities in order to keep abreast of changing demographics and other relevant issues in order to evaluate PCF’s marketing and communication and monitor emerging issues.
- Assist in the planning and execution of special events, training events and other similar marketing and outreach activities.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent marketing experience in a nonprofit organization setting
- Ability to professionally represent the Foundation in all aspects of the job
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills including keen ability to create and tell compelling and emotive stories
- Keen desire for excellence and accuracy
- Proven marketing skills including several of the following: direct mail, advertising, and/or product promotion; analytical and evaluation skills; website, e-marketing, social media and database management
- Knowledge of scripting language, Adobe Creative Suite, video production/editing, computer graphics and dynamic HTML
- Self-starter and self-reliant, but able and willing to consult with others
- Excellent telephone and inter-personal communication skills
- Strong organizational, administrative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Adobe Acrobat and online email marketing and analytics
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- General understanding of the donor development process a plus
Application instructions: Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, directed to Veronica Blake, CEO, Placer Community Foundation. Applications that do not meet the required skills and experience will not be considered.
Placer Community Foundation provides an excellent opportunity for someone wishing to be part of a collaborative caring team focused on our county’s citizens, needs, and opportunities. Our history reaches back nearly 70 years to 1948 and began with an endowed gift made by the caring, forward-looking Beecher family. Today Placer Community Foundation is a multi-million dollar philanthropic institution comprised of over 100 charitable funds. Grants from these funds are made to charitable organizations to tackle our region’s most urgent challenges and seize opportunities to improve lives throughout Placer County and beyond.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.